Tuesday, May 12, 2009

May 12, 2009 L2093-17

Now you may think the L2093-17 is the latest model from Terminator:salvation movie but it is in fact the model number of a ladder. That model number alone should have been enough  to warn me to be careful using this beast.  Never mind the liberal dosing of labels cautioning the user covering every side. Yet I was further instructed about the wickedness of said piece of equipment by Krista - careful Patrick "its the ladder from hell".  "Satan's own step?" was my blithe response.  Now on the box this probably seems like a fantastic idea.  Instead of having to buy twelve different stepping utilities you just need one...until you try and actually form a usable arrangement with it .  Three hinges each side each of which lock in three different positions.  You don't need to be an actuary to work out that that's a lot of different configurations.  Worse yet each hinge has a locking mechanism with a lever that needs to be reversed through a full 180 degrees each time the hinge locks in order to unlock it again.  

Somewhat disturbingly I managed to assemble configuration 2 'step ladder' change the bulb and return to configuration 13 'storage' without a hitch.  I put this down to me being on the highest state of alert for any possible treachery. Until I was walking back down the  garden slope to return the ladder to the shed of course.  Here I was betrayed by simple physics.  A 45lb ladder on your shoulder somewhat changes your centre of gravity.  This combined with the dew on the grass meant I lost traction and ended up on my backside.  At least the ladder hit the ground first before pinning my arm underneath it.  Nevertheless I now have a nice aluminium burn running halfway up my forearm.

I think I am going to attach another warning label to the L2093-17: it will get you when you least expect it

No comments:

Post a Comment