Tuesday, May 12, 2009

May 05, 2009 Buoyancy

Before we arrived in St Lucia it was a long time since I swum in the sea.  So long in fact I don't even remember the last time.  What completely blew me away was how buoyant I am compared to when swimming in fresh water.   When in fresh water at the pool or the creek, it requires real effort to stay afloat horizontally without swimming.  I have to keep my lungs fully inflated and take short sharp breaths to prevent me from sinking.

Imagine my delight when I stretched my arms out at my sides, flung my head back shut my eyes and I was happily floating horizontally without having to move a muscle.  Bliss.  Of course it doesn't take long for the little ones to think this is just part of the game..."bad troll, I am taking you to prison".  

No comments:

Post a Comment